Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Roasted Butternut Squash & Sage

I had some leftover squash I need to use up before it went bad so I decided to try this quick side recipe from my Great Food Fast cookbook.  I had been wanting to try a simple roasted squash recipe besides my usual butter and brown sugar, but I don't think this is the one for me.  I shared with my neighbors, who liked it, but there was something I didn't quite like.  


It was okay, but maybe I just added too much sage, I didn't measure it.  Maybe I just don't like fresh sage, even though I have never noticed a dislike of sage in general before now.  I was not sure how much squash I had to use, it seamed to be about 2 pounds, like the recipe called for, but maybe it was less.  Another good reason to hope for the food scale I ask for from Santa this year.  Give the recipe a try and let me know what you think.

Roasted Butternut Squash & Sage

4 to 6 side servings

  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage 
  1. Melt butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add butternut squash. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until squash is lightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes.
  2. Add 1/4 cup water, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover, and cook until squash is fork-tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat and toss with sage.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment