Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Chocolate Chip Scones

I have been continuing on my scone breakfast journey and it has been going really well.  Could I Have That supplied my current scone recipe for Chocolate Chip Scones.  I followed the recipe correctly (for once), and even used a glass to cut the dough in to circles for freezing.  The last bit looked like too little to do two and just a bit more than one, so I figured I would just bake it as is.  One fateful Monday morning I  put it in the oven with a regular size one for the normal time.  When the buzzer dinged I checked them and put them if for a few more minutes.  When that time was up they had a nice little golden brown color on the top and had pretty much doubled in height.  I decided to take the large one with me to work.  I sat down at my desk and pulled a piece off ready to enjoy and realized the inside was still completely doughy. Like had-not-cooked-at-all dough.  I was so sad! What had I done? How did I not realize that it was not ready at all?   Needless to say, I ran to the deli for breakfast that morning.  
I don't know why so far they have all baked like this, in little V's but they are great.
I took the poor thing home and put it back in the oven where it finished baking just fine without burning or anything.  The regular sized scones were perfectly baked at the normal time and they have all been delicious.  They have a biscuit like quality to me and I really enjoy them with honey.  I hope you give them a try and please don't make the same mistake as me.


Chocolate Chip Scones
(makes 10 scones)

  • 3 1/2 cups plain flour
  • 1 handful wholewheat
  • 2 tbsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter cut into pieces
  • 1 1/4 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  1. Sift the plain flour, add in the wholewheat. Mix in the baking powder, sugar and salt. 
  2. Then with your fingers mix in the butter until the mixtures resembles fresh breadcrumbs. 
  3. Make a well in the middle, pour in exactly 1 1/4 milk and use a fork to work in the dry ingredients around it. Finish mixing by hand but don't overwork. 
  4. Mix in chocolate chips.
  5. Form a soft but firm dough—add milk if too dry, add flour if too wet. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a solid shape (1 1/4 inches thick). 
  6. Cut or separate into rounds and place on the cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to freeze. 
  7. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Bake 15 - 20 minutes until lightly golden.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment