Monday, December 19, 2011

Chicken with Coconut Rice & Black Beans



This recipe is easily one of my favorites that I do not make enough.   I found this recipe in the August 2007 issue of Real Simple. It is really easy to make and the leftovers still taste great.  I end up just mixing the black beans and rice together, it all goes together so well.  I normally use a red pepper as the recipe lists, but this round I had a green one that needed to be used.    
Since I love warm rice and milk with cinnamon and sugar, I like to double the amount of rice I make.  This way I use all the coconut milk, since you only use one cup for the recipe.  The coconut flavor is really subtle  (in both dishes) and just tasty.  



Chicken with Coconut Rice & Black Beans
4 servings 

  • 1 cup long-grain white rice
  • 1 cup coconut milk (1 14 oz can)
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 large green bell pepper, sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1 19-ounce can black beans, drained
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

  1. Cook the rice according to the package directions, replacing 1 cup of water with the coconut milk.
  2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.  Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Turn the chicken and move it to the sides of the skillet.
  3. Add the bell pepper and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
  4. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until the bell pepper is slightly soft and the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plates.
  5. Add the beans, cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt, and the remaining oil to skillet. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. 
  6. Serve with chicken and rice.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment