Sunday, December 4, 2011

Butternut Squash Risotto

Have I mentioned how much I love Butternut Squash?  I don't know if mom ever did anything other than roasting it with a stick of butter and several spoons of brown sugar in the middle or not, (and why would she with four picky brats that would have probably turned up their noses), but it started my love affair with squash. I really, really,really like it and it keeps getting better with every new recipe I try.  I can't stop making things with it.  I already have another recipe to post next week! 


Back to our subject dish: butternut squash risotto.  I had a recipe saved to make, but when I looked at the recipe, I decided I wanted something simpler to make and went searching my favorite blogs to find a new one.  I landed on Simply Recipes site and found exactly what I was looking for. A few key ingredients and an hour later, I was in heaven.  I only made some minor changes/ substitutions to the recipe like using shallots instead of onion.  It was really good and was my lunch for the rest of the week and good every single time.  I gave some to my coworker and she also went into fits over its amazingness.  If you have an hour to an hour an a half some evening or are hosting a dinner party, go with this recipe.  You will not regret it!   



Butternut Squash Risotto
(4 to 6 servings)

  • 6 cups chicken broth (I used the cubes to make the broth)
  • 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided into 4 Tbsp and 1 Tbsp
  • 2 shallots, finely chopped
  • 2 cups butternut squash, peeled, and finely diced
  • 2 cups arborio rice (can substitute medium grained white rice if needed)
  • 1 cup dry cooking white wine
  • 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 Tbsp chopped chives 
  • Salt
  1. Heat broth in medium sized saucepan and keep warm over low heat. 
  2. Melt 4 Tbsp of butter in a large saucepan; add shallots and butternut squash. Cook over medium heat until shallot is translucent, about 5 minutes.
  3. Add rice to shallots and squash. Cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add wine. Cook, stirring constantly until wine has been absorbed by the rice or evaporated. 
  4. Add a few ladles of broth, just enough to barely cover rice. Cook over medium heat until broth has been absorbed. Continue cooking and stirring rice, adding a little bit of broth at a time, cooking and stirring until it is absorbed, until the rice is tender, but still firm to the bite, about 15 to 20 minutes.
  5. During the last minutes of cooking, add remaining tablespoon of butter, 1/3 cup Parmesan, and chives. At this point the rice should have a creamy consistency. Add salt to taste. 
  6. Serve with remaining grated Parmesan.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment