8 to 10 servings
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips (I had a bit less, so I added a tiny bit of dark chocolate chips)
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees with the rack in the center. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- Place butter and chocolate in a large heatproof bowl and place over, not in a sause pan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until almost melted. Remove from heat and stir until completely melted. Whisk in egg yolks. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar, and continue beating until glossy stiff peaks form.
- Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture; then gently fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and is set in the center, 45 to 50 minutes.
|He was very excited about this cake|