Monday, June 13, 2011

The Best Way to Use Brown Bananas

Whenever I buy bananas, I rarely make it throw the whole bunch and have one that gets over ripe and ends up in the freezer.  Every few months I have a stock pile and have to throw out a number of freezer burned ones, there are usually enough left over for one of my favorite baked goods ever. Ever.  My mom started this frenzy, but she doesn't stock piles the bananas in the freezer forever.  It's on par with her cinnamon rolls.  Every time it's a wonderful treat. 

Baking wise, I'm pretty sure you can't screw it up.  You can use new bananas, but the more mushy they are the better.  Mom typically mixed this up with the last bananas of the bunch.  I have a habit of forgetting the walnuts until the frosting is done and have to sprinkle them on top.  This time I remembered and put them in the batter and in the frosting.  And naturally, I did have some shortening but I didn't open it to see how much so I didn't buy anymore.  In the middle of mixing things up I went to three different delis in the yucky rainy weather before finding more.  Still so yummy and worth it. 

Any guesses to what it is?   
The most amazing thing ever.

Banana Cake! 
Ingredients

Cake:
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 mashed bananas
  • 1/2 milk
  • 1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
 Frosting:
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3 cups powdered sugar (more or less)
  • 1/2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. In an large bowl cream together the sugar and shortening.  Add the vanilla and eggs.  Beat until fluffy.  Add the bananas and milk.  Mix until combined. 
  3. Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl.  Slowly add to the banana mix.  Mix in walnuts.
  4. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean. 
  5. Cool well before frosting.
  6. To make the frosting mix everything except the sugar. Slowly add the sugar in cup by cup and stir until smooth.  Mix until spreadable but not runny.   Add in walnuts.  Spread over cooled cake.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment