Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Time to Celebrate!

The past couple of weeks have brought some great reasons to celebrate.  First, I was given the clearance to start riding my bike again, my elbow is all better.  Second, I finally got my Architecture license! Whoo hoo!  Third, my very great friend, Megan was in town for the weekend on her way to a conference.  Fourth, summer is officially here, this is probably reason enough.  Melissa reminded me that I have had a bottle of champagne that my boss gave me three years ago that I still had not opened.  It was time to pop open that bottle and celebrate, so that's exactly what we did this weekend.
Time to Celebrate!

I had been wanting to host a small dinner party on the roof for some time now, so that's exactly what I did.  The menu was Avacodo Dip, Spinach, Red Onion & Cherry Craison Salad, Summer Squash Ribbons with Lemon & Parmesan, Lemon & Basil Roasted Chicken and last but not least a tasty Fruit & Pudding Trifle Megan whipped up (so good- we must beg her to post it up).  Everything was gluten free and absolutely tasty.  Everything was super easy to make time so that everything was ready when needed.  Megan made the desert before everything else so that it could set up in the afternoon.  I prepped the chicken and put it in the oven.  I mixed up everything else while it was roasting.  First the avocado dip, the salad dressing and salad and finally the summer squash just before the chicken was done.
I have made two of these recipes before, but I have three to share with you today.  I followed most of the recipes pretty closely, maybe adding more or less of this or that to some of them.  I highly recommend the Sweet Paul Magazine that I found the Avocado Dip and Lemon & Basil Roasted Chicken in.  There are so many more recipes that I need to try from it.


Avocado Dip
The avocado dip was gone in an instant & look at that chicken!
  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice (I used one whole lemon)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • salt & pepper to taste
  1. Peel the avocado, and mash the meat in a bowl with mayo, lemon and garlic. (I tossed it in the blender for a bit to get it nice and smooth)
  2. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Serve with chips  or other tasty dipping snackers.
Summer Squash & Zucchini Ribbons with Lemon & Parmesan
Delicious ribbons of squash!
  • 1 medium summer squash
  • 1 medium zucchini 
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup Parmesan, shaved
  • kosher salt and pepper
  1. Cut the squash and zucchini into long, thin strips using a vegetable peeler (discard the seedy cores). Place in a large bowl.
  2. Add the oil, lemon juice, Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.

Lemon & Basil Roasted Chicken

Read for the oven.
  • 1 large chicken
  • 1 bunch basil
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt & pepper
  • 2 lemons, cut in half
  • 2 pounds small potatoes
  • 2 or 3 carrots cut into 2" chunks
  • 8 cloves garlic, left whole
  1. Preheat oven to 450ºF. 
  2. Remove the gizzards and liver if inside the chicken cavity and rub chicken well with 2 tbsp olive oil.
  3. Lift up the breast skin gently and place a bunch of basil in the “pocket”. 
  4. Sprinkle with salt and pepper & Place in an oven-proof dish with potatoes, carrots, and garlic. 
  5. Fill the cavity of the chicken with two lemon halves. 
  6. Squeeze the remaining lemon over the chicken and drizzle with olive oil. 
  7. Roast for 20 minutes, take it out and baste it and put it back in at 350ºF for about another 45 minutes (mine was in for 55 minutes)
  8. Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving.
We didn't even make it to our seats to eat we were so hungry & it was so good!
Take it all the to roof and Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment