Thursday, February 16, 2012

Banana Bread

For a couple weeks I took a break from my scones, not because I wanted to, but because there was cornbread to be had and then banana bread.  My freezer was filling up with too many bananas again and it was time to get rid of some, plus I was in a baking mood.  I've already shared my number one way to use up bananas.  Banana bread is number two.  I guess I really shouldn't say that, it just depends on my mood.  This time I gave my roommate the option and he went for the bread.  


Since I was kinda leaning toward cake when I asked, I drizzled some icing over it. I wanted to make it to take for breakfast, I I opted to make a couple mini loaves and 6 muffins, but normally I would just make one big loaf or 4  mini ones.  This is another recipe that I have been making forever.  For the life me I don't know why, but almost every time I forget the walnuts.  They are, in my opinion, what makes the bread.  I end up dumping them in after it's been poured in the pan and trying the swirl it around a little bit.  I remembered this time before pouring the batter in the pans:)  We're improving! 


Banana Bread
makes 1 regular loaf  or 4 mini ones
Bread:
  • 3 or 4 over ripe bananas (if frozen thaw)- mashed
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1/4 melted butter
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
Glaze:
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 to 2 tbsp milk
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. 
  2. Cream the sugar and bananas together with the butter.  
  3. Mix in the remaining ingredients- saving the walnuts for last.
  4. Pour into a greased 9" bread pan.  Bake for 1 hour.  If you use muffins, they will take about 30 to 40 minutes and the mini loafs will still take about an hour.  Start checking them at 40 minutes, just to make sure.  A toothpick will come out clean when it is done. 
  5. Let cool.  While it is cooling mix the powdered sugar and milk together in a small bowl.  Add milk one teaspoon at a time until the mixture is no longer clumpy but a smooth mixture that is not too runny. (Clear as mud?) 
  6. Drizzle over the bread. 
Enjoy!   

No comments:

Post a Comment