Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Gumbo Party (& Cornbread)

Melissa had to stand on her toes
see in the massive pot! 
A few weeks ago when it was as cold as it seems to be getting around here, my Louisiana roommate decided it was time for some more gumbo.  I was very excited for this since the first round was so delicious.  The smells floated through our apartment all day long.  Several friends came over during the remaining hours and we pretty much sat around salivating.  It was painful waiting for the final product.  I again had nothing to do with the gumbo preparation, but I did make some cornbread.  Which was weak in comparison to the gumbo, but a good side/dipper none the less.  Melissa made a tasty savory cornbread with chilies and cheese while I made a sweet one.  
I've been using the same recipe forever.  I never really thought about it being a "sweet" recipe.  It's the way I have always had it.  the recipe does have an "if desired" written next to the sugar.  Compared to Melissa's it was definitely sweet, but I still like it that way better.  I assume I got it from my mom and I normally make it every time I make chili which is not often enough.  I then have leftover to smother in syrup for breakfast.  It's a simple easy recipe that you can whip up in a few minutes.  If you want to double the recipe, you can bake it in a 9 by 13 inch pan for the same amount of time. 


Golden Cornbread
makes a 8x8 pan about 16 serving

ahhh breakfast! 

  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 vegetable shortening
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients. 
  3. Add the milk, egg and shortening.  Mix until just combined and fairly smooth- about a minute. 
  4. Bake in a greased 8" square pan  for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  5. Cool a bit and serve. 
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment