Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Carrot Soup

It has finally started to get cold here.  It even snowed for the first time since Halloween this weekend.  I have been on a bit of a soup kick and I like to have it for lunch since I spend most of the morning in my office typing in mittens.  I have been wanting to try a carrot soup for a while, but have never got around to it until last weekend.  Big Girls Small Kitchen posted up a recipe for Roasted Carrot Red Curry Soup and it sounded delicious and not too time consuming.   
I personally did not think the recipe had enough curry paste in it.  After I doubled the amount, I just keep tossing in teaspoons until I decided it was enough- I think I probably quadrupled it.  That was the only thing I really changed in the recipe.  It was a bit cool for my liking, so I would suggest warming it more before serving, or at least testing it before hand. I also have to keep stealing the neighbors blender/processor since mine broke and then I have to repay them in soup.  I might need to invest in an attachment for my Kitchenaid sooner than later...


Roasted Carrot Red Curry Soup
Makes 4 servings

  • 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces 
  • 2 small red onions, quartered
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 inch ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
  • 1 to 2  tablespoons Thai red curry paste (some of you may want to start with less and do taste test as you go adding more. 
  • 2 cups vegetable stock
  • One 15-ounce can coconut milk 
  1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl, toss carrot and onion with oil, sugar, and salt. 
  3. Spread the veggies evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until browned and tender, stirring once halfway through.
  4. Transfer the vegetables to a food processor or blender along with the ginger, 1 teaspoon curry paste, and the stock.  Blend until incorporated. 
  5. Add coconut milk and blend until smooth. Taste for seasoning and add salt and additional curry paste if you like. 
  6. Reheat and serve. 
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment