Saturday, January 1, 2011

Pumpkin Ginger Scones

I have had this recipe in my binder and there is a recipe for Honey Wheat Bread on the same page.  I am not sure if I ripped it out of the magazine for the scones or bread but the scone beat out the bread because of my mom's baking adventures today.  She decided to make her pumpkin dessert, which is amazing, and had left over pumpkin.  I decided to use the extra pumpkin to make Pumpkin Ginger Scones.  

I have heard the scones are easy to screw up and have never made them before.  These were super easy to make, although have a pastry cutter would have been nice when I was cutting in the butter, and to top it off I didn't mess them up. They are really yummy and not heavy like some scones are, I highly recommend trying them out. 

These are really the ones I made!


  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 7 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 5 tablespoons cold butter, divided
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 7 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, ginger and baking soda. Cut in 4 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. (this was really not coarse at all, I just mixed it with a fork until the butter was in small pieces with a lot of flour mixture that appeared unmixed)
  2. Combine the egg, pumpkin and sour cream; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. (the mixture was still pretty crumbly until I started kneading it)
  3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat into an 8-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges. Separate wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
  4. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment