Saturday, January 1, 2011

Barbecue Chutney Chicken

While on my snowed in cooking spree, I decided to try another slow cook recipe from Jenn's book. While flipping through the pages, I was hoping something would jump out at me. It's funny how we gravitate towards flavors or ingredients and choose recipes accordingly. While I have limited experience with it,curry is one that intrigues me. Additionally, I have a big jar of curry that I am hoping to get some use out of.

Note: All curries are not created equally. I am the furthest thing from an expert on the subject, but I do realize that the Muchi Curry I purchased from Whole Foods is one of the spicier varieties. It is full of strong flavor but also makes me sweat and my nose run. Get comfortable with whichever curry you have and use responsibly :)



My meat-phobia also extends to poultry. The original recipe called for various chicken pieces (bones included). While still a little gross to handle, boneless, skinless chicken breasts are more my speed (no surprises), so I just cut the raw chicken into bite size pieces.



Barbecue Chutney Chicken

1 medium onion, cut into wedges
3 pounds chicken pieces (I used boneless skinless breasts, but feel free to use bone-in pieces)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup mango chutney
2/3 cup bottled barbecue sauce
1 teaspoon curry powder
hot,cooked rice

Place onion in the slow cooker. Add chicken pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, combine chutney, barbecue sauce, and curry powder. Pour over mixture in slow cooker and combine. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 3 to 3-1/2 hours. Serve chicken mixture over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment