Saturday, January 15, 2011

Monkey Bread!

I had a strategic planning planning today at noon for AFHny.  I figured we could use something delicious to get us through a few hours of thinking, planning, talking, strategizing. I was thinking ambitious planning on making caramel rolls, but I didn't have the time yesterday and I was not getting up earlier than I do for work to make them today.  Instead I made a tasty alternate, Monkey Bread aka Pull Apart Cinnamon Rolls. 

I couldn't find frozen dough at the local grocery store, so this time I actually made the bread dough via Betty Crocker, which was pretty easy.  The only problem was the dough kept getting stuck in hand mixer and slowing or stopping it or pulling the beaters out.  Just another sign that I really need a KitchenAid Mixer, even if it would take up half my counter space. 

Monkey Bread 
  • 2 loaves of Bread Dough (see below) or 2 loaves of Frozen bread dough, thawed
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted 
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2- 3 oz packages cook & serve vanilla pudding
  • 2 Tbsp milk
  • 2 Tsp cinnamon
  1. Do not let your dough raise very much! Break one loaf into pieces and place in a greased 9x13 pan.
  2. Mix butter, sugar, pudding mix, milk and cinnamon together.  Pour over loaf in pan. 
  3. Break up remaining loaf into pieces and place on top. 
  4. Let Rise (all though I did not let them raise very long in my haste and they turned out fine)
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until tops are golden brown. 
I forgot to take a picture when they came out of the oven. This is post meeting.

2 loaves of bread dough
  • 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 1 Tbsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp shortening
  • 2 packages regular or quick active dry yeast (4 1/2 tsp)
  • 2 1/4 cups very warm water
  1. In a large bowl, stir 3 1/2 cups of the flour, the sugar, salt, shortening and yeast until well mixed. 
  2. Add warm water and beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently.  Stir in enough remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, to make dough easy to handle. 
  3. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy. 
Enjoy!  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment