Friday, December 31, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm not the kind of person who has cooking staples on hand. I don't have a  well stocked pantry (if you can even call it that) of basic items, so when I make a recipe, I generally have to buy some supplies. It bothers me to no end when I am left with random, unused ingredients. After making pulled pork recently, I was left with half a package of dried apricots. What in the world am I going to do with dried apricots?! I don't really like the texture, so I don't see myself eating them as a snack. The next logical answer: bake cookies, of course :)

I am a fan of adding cranberries to oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, so I decided the apricots (or any other dried fruit) would be an easy substitute. And in some alternate universe, I can claim they are healthy because they are upping my fruit and vegetable intake.




Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Apricot Cookies
(adapted from a cookie recipe found here)

2/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups chocolate chips (I ended up using an entire 12 oz bag. Who really wants to have chocolate chips lying around anyway?)
couple handfuls chopped, dried apricots (very scientific)

Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix butter with sugars until incorporated and creamy. Add the eggs and mix to combine. Stir in the vanilla extract.

Separately, combine the baking soda and powder, salt, flour, oats, chocolate chips, and apricots. Add the butter mixture and mix only until just combined.

Drop by rounded tablespoons (I made mine way too big) onto an ungreased baking sheet about 2" apart. Bake 8-10 minutes until the edges are crisp and the centers are slightly soft (I would take these before they look crispy. They didn't seem like they were firming up and I ended up with pretty brown bottoms. I would suggest taking them out after about 10 minutes and let them cool on the pan.).

Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment