Thursday, December 2, 2010

One of my Favorite Cookies: Turtle Cookies

I have no idea why these are called Turtle Cookies.  They are chocolate goodness made on a waffle iron.  My mom has made them for as long as I can remember.  It has been a long time since I've had them and a few weeks ago I got a hankering for them.  Unfortunately I do not have a normal waffle maker, only a (broken) Belgian one. I decided that I wanted them so much that I asked for a waffle iron for Christmas and so that the next time I had a craving, I wouldn't have to wait for my next trip to South Dakota to get them.
Randomly I was talking to my mom about the waffle iron and she said that my little brother wanted one as well.  For the same reason.  They are so good my brother is willing to wait for them to be baked instead of eating the dough. That means something.
Image from Tasty Kitchen (once I actually make these I will add some pics)
Since it is cookie week (at least on Twitter), I decided I had to add these in honor before I actually baked them.  In fact, I am not sure if I have ever actually made them, I have watched them being made and helped make them for sure.  I have brought a old gallon ice cream bucket full of them back to college after a break at home.  I will definitely be making them over my long break at home in between all my other cookie experiments.

Turtle Cookies
I cup melted butter
1 1/2 cup white sugar
4 eggs, beaten

4 tbsp cocoa
2 cups flour
2 tsp vanilla


Mix and bake on a waffle iron for 1 minute on medium heat, or until baked through.  Cool on wax paper then frost.
Frosting 
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1tbsp cocoa powder
milk
coconut
Mix together p. sugar and cocoa.  Add milk until slightly it had a pourable consistence, but not so much that it's runny. Sprinkle coconut on top. Allow to cool and store stacked with wax paper in between to keep from sticking together.

No comments:

Post a Comment