Tuesday, December 21, 2010

An Old Favorite & a New One

Since I am home in my mom's large, counter spacious kitchen and four to six people have to be feed each day, I am taking full advantage.  I brought home recipes that seemed like too much work to half or make for one or won't keep forever as leftovers.

Last night I decided to make a Chicken Braid, an old favorite that I haven't had in years.  The first time I had it was at my friends house and his mom gave me the recipe which I brought home and made with my mom a few times, but it has been hiding in my recipe files for awhile. I have to admit that when it was time to start dinner last night I was sent over to my grandparents to drop off some of the candy and cookies we made yesterday and mom ended up starting and finishing the chicken braid before I returned through the trees.  Never the less, here is the tasty recipe. 


Chicken Braid
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
  • 1 cup broccoli, chopped
  • 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped 
  • 1 garlic clove, chopped 
  • 1 cup shredded chedder
  • 1/2 cup mayo
  • 2 tsp dill weed
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 packages cresent rolls 
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 tbsp almond slivers
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
  2. Mix Chicken, broccoli, and pepper in bowl. 
  3. Add mayo, dill, salt and pepper to chicken mixture and blend well.  
  4. Unroll 1 package of crescent rolls and DO NOT separate. Arrange longest sides of dough across wide baking stone. Repeat with the second package. On long side cut dough 1 1/2" apart and 3" deep (leave 6" in the center to fill). 
  5. Spread mix over center of dough.  Pick up strips and twist over mix. 
  6. Brush egg whites over dough top and sprinkle with almonds. 
  7. Bake 25 to 28 minutes or until deep golden brown. 

Tonight I made a new recipe I found in Real Simple, Sweet Potato Risotto.  I made it once before and thought that my family might like it, even my picky little sister (she is much worse than I am or ever was).  It's not hard, it just take some time to chop everything and it takes about 45 minutes to cook.  I followed my friend Melissa's advice and measured ever thing out in advance since it starts out rather quick and there is not a lot of time to do so when your in the middle of cooking.

Sweet Potato Risotto

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano

  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 3 to 5 minutes.
  2. Add the sweet potatoes and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
  3. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring frequently, until absorbed.
  4. Measure 3½ cups of water. Add ¾ cup at a time and cook, stirring occasionally and waiting until each addition is absorbed before adding the next. It should take 25 to 30 minutes for all the water to be absorbed.
  5. Stir in the Parmesan and oregano.
My sister did eat it, but she refused to try the sweet potatoes and picked them out.  She claims she would have picked out the onion, but that was too hard.  I think she would have liked the potatoes if she would have tried, I may be picky, but at least I try things.  She also mixed in French Dressing.  I don't know how that made it better and given her picky eating I can't believe that she would mix them together.  I think its fine the way it is and it's great as a leftover. 
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment