Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pita Pizza

So I have this mini obsession with Mellow Mushroom pizza. It's a chain of restaurants and we had one in Auburn which my friends and I frequented during college. However, my obsession did not begin until I moved to NYC and realized it is only a Southern thing! I guess there are a million amazing pizza places here, but I still hold a special place in my heart for Mellow. I rekindled my love for their Kosmic Karma pie on a recent trip home to Huntsville, Alabama. It's my favorite variety, and I was determined to recreate it in Brooklyn.

I'm not quite ready to make my own pizza dough or even use the pre-made stuff I've seen at Trader Joe's. I went with the equivalent of dipping my big toe in this culinary pool. Making pita pizzas seemed like the perfect opportunity to test out the toppings before getting into all that dough mess. Quick. Easy. Painless. My kind of cooking.

The result it pretty good. Definitely not up to Mellow standards but a good first attempt. I think there is a lot to be said for using good pesto. I would also go for a more crumbly feta next time. Mellow Mushroom definitely has a good dough recipe (I think they incorporate wheat flour in there too). The middle of the pizza is pretty thin while the crust is thick and fluffy. My pita got nice and crispy in the oven but it's just not the same. I look forward to trying again!

Kosmic Karma Pita Pizza
8" pita bread
Pizza sauce (I used a jar from TJ's, but I'm sure you could make your own. Good luck!)
Pesto sauce (ditto)
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Feta cheese crumbles (feta in a block is a bit too dense)
Sun-dried tomatoes
Cherry tomatoes, sliced

Heat your oven to 425° F. Put pita on an ungreased cookie sheet, fluffy side up. Spread a spoonful of pizza sauce on top and do the same with the pesto. Sprinkle with an ample amount of mozzarella cheese and arrange the other toppings to your liking. Bake in the oven about 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. trader joe's also makes naan that makes a pretty good substitute pizza crust (albeit odd-shaped). i prefer it to pitas. :) but don't be afraid of their dough...its actually really good and not that hard, it just shrinks a little!

    ReplyDelete