Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tasty Spinach Pasta with Walnut Sauce


It has been raining pretty much every day since last Friday.  I've only road my bike to work once this week. ONCE.  Tomorrow's not looking to good either.  It's also been cooler than normal.  I can't really complain much about that, it's much better than the humid, hot, rain-just-makes-it -worse weather that is much more common in the summer here.  Still, temperatures below 80 degrees in the middle of summer is suddenly cold and warrants comfort like foods like tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  Add to the list Spinach Pasta with Creamy Walnut Sauce. 

From Fresh Flavor Fast, this recipe is quick, not too heavy as it might sound, and really good as a leftover for lunch the next day.  I couldn't find spinach linguine, but I spaghetti is a close enough choice. Other than that switch, I followed the recipe in amounts and all.  If you are like me and do not have a food processor, just a blender, I would dice up the garlic clove instead of throwing it in whole.  I also crushed the walnut halves to make it easier on the blender.  As an FYI, the cream mixture got pretty thick.  Maybe it's suppose to do this.  I probably was distracted and let it blend too long, but it was fine and mixed in with the pasta easily.   

Ingredients 
 I lost my pictures, so this is from Martha Stewart
  • 2 cups walnut halves 
  • 1 pound spinach spaghetti
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley
  1. Cook the pasta according the package in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente. When finished, drain and return to the pot. 
  2. Meanwhile, In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, toast the walnuts in small batches. Shake the pan occasionally until fragrant and starting to darken, 2 to 3 minutes.  
  3. In the blender, combine half of walnuts, the cream, and garlic and blend until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
  4.  Toss with pasta, remaining walnuts, Parmesan, and parsley. Serve with more Parmesan.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment