Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sweet Grilling Sides

Have I mentioned that I love grilling?  Cause I do.  I have been trying mix up my sides this summer. I've been experimenting with more vegetables on the grill and for the most part it has been pretty successful.  My most recent experiment involved sweet potatoes based on a recipe in Great Food Fast.  Have I mentioned I love sweet potatoes?  Cause I do. Two of the greatest things in the food world put together.  Bliss.  The recipe is super simple and quick.  Try to make the slices of potato as evenly as possible so they cook at the same speed.  
Backyard Mini Barbecue 

Another tasty side that I made this weekend was corn on the cob grilled.  I had somewhat forgotten about it, but flipped by the recipe while looking for the sweet potato one and figured they would be perfect together.   Also super simple and quick and pretty much impossible to screw up!  Put these together with a great cheeseburger and you have a perfect Sunday night. 

Grilled Sweet Potatoes 
2 servings 
  • 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" thick slices
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1tsp cayenne pepper 
  • salt & pepper 
  1. Heat the grill to medium.  In a large bowl toss all the ingredients together. 
  2. Grill for 20 to 30 minutes, or until they are tender when pierced with a fork.  Turn frequently. 
  3. Let cool for a few minutes before serving. 

Doesn't it all just look so good?!?

Grilled Corn on the Cob
2 servings 
  • 2 ears of corn unhusked 
  • vegetable oil
  • butter, salt and pepper for serving
  1. Peel back the corn husks (do not remove) and remove the silk.  Soak in cold water for 10 minutes.  
  2. Remove the corn from the water and pull the husks back over the corn.  
  3. Lightly oil the grill and grill the ears for about 15 minutes or until the kernels are tender, turning frequently. 
  4. Allow the corn to cool for a minute before using dish towel to remove the husks. Serve. 
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment