Monday, May 30, 2011

Gingerbread Rhubarb Pots

Once rhubarb is in the farmers market, it is the one thing that drags me from my comfy bed early on Saturdays to trek up to the park.  I tried to plant one in my garden, but it didn't take.  Sad.  Anyway, I made the trip to the market and brought home plenty of rhubarb and some zucchini planning to make something with one or the other for the barbeques this weekend.  I also wanted something that would be transportable to the beach. 
After flipping though most of the recipes I have, I decided to go with the rhubarb version of the Gingerbread pots in my 500 Cupcakes cookbook.  I had intended to follow the recipe completely, but I was out of wheat flour and I wasn't completely sure about the rhubarb prep.  They turned out well either way.  The rhubarb flavor was subtle and and the ginger was not overwhelming.  The lemon glaze was the perfect topping to balance out the gingerbread.


Ingredients
The cupcakes:
  • 1 cup chopped rhubarb
  • 2 tbsp white sugar 
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup self-rising flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 tbsp roughly chopped candied ginger
glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 5 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line small terracotta pots with parchment paper (or a cupcake tin with liners). 
  2. Mix rhubarb, white sugar, and water in small sauce pan over medium low heat. Stir frequently until the rhubarb has broken down and is soft.  Set aside.
  3. Sift the flours, baking powder, ginger and cinnamon in a large bowl.  
  4. In a medium bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.  Mix in rhubarb until combined. 
  5. Stir into dry ingredients. 
  6. Spoon batter into pots until about 3/4 full.  Place pots on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. 
  7. Remove pots from oven and cool on a rack for a few minutes before removing from pots and cooling for 10 minutes.  
  8. To make glaze, combine the lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl.  Drizzle over the tops of the cupcakes.  Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. 
Makes 18 cupcakes.
Enjoy!

1 comment: