Sunday, May 22, 2011

Rhubarb Catastrophe

Yesterday afternoon I had a major catastrophe. Let's start at at the beginning.  In the morning I went to the farmers market for the first time this spring.   I was very excited to see the fresh rhubarb and strawberries in various stands.  Rhubarb may be my favorite thing in spring.  It was a sure sign of summers approach when I was growing up.  Rhubarb crumble, torte and margaritas.  What could be better?  I especially love, love, love rhubarb pie.  It's so quick and easy to bake up.

I was so excited to bake to make my first pie of the season.  Then catastrophe struck.  I could not find my recipe.  I went through every single section of my card box.  It was nowhere. The crust was such a great crust that I have used for other pies and the filling was so perfect.  How could I loose this recipe?  In a panic I called my mom, but as the phone was ringing I remembered that she didn't give me the recipe.  A family friend gave it to me several years ago when I was staying with them during an internship.

In the end I used my mom's pat in the pan pie crust (which is excellent too) and a slightly modified pie filling from Betty Crocker.  I used less strawberries than I had planned, but it was still delicious.  I am hoping to find my old recipe because it was so good. 
I took this to a party too soon after baking so I know the pictures not the best, but it was still delicious.


Rhubarb Strawberry Pie
Crust:
  • 3 cups flour
  • 4 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 tbsp milk
Filling:
  • 4 1/4 cups rhubarb cut in 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 2 tbsp butter
  1. For the crust, combine the flour, sugar and salt together.  Mix in Oil and water.  Press 2/3 of the mixture into a 9" round pan and set the rest aside. 
  2. Mix together the rhubarb and strawberries with the sugar and flour.  Once combined, spoon into pie pan.  
  3. Cut butter into small squares and sprinkle over filling.
  4. Roll out remaining crust dough between wax paper until large enough to cover top of pie.  Place over top of filling and pinch the edges.  Using a fork poke holes into the top crust. 
  5. Sprinkle crust with sugar and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment