Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter FEAST!

I love Easter Dinner.  Maybe I just love all holidays and excuses to make something I would not make on a normal day, like a ham or a turkey.  I also like an excuse to get people together, if you couldn't already tell that.  This was the first time since moving to Brooklyn that I was actually in Brooklyn.  It has worked out in the past for one reason or another for me to head back to South Dakota an see the family.  Since I was not going to be making the trek west, I decided to gather my friends for an Easter Feast.
Doesn't it look yummy?
The menu included baked ham, mashed potatoes with noodles, quiche with goat cheese, caesar salad, baked brie, banana bread with walnut cream cheese, creamy jello and horchata.  In the Easter spirit revolving around eggs, Melissa made the yummy quiche that was filled with peppers and spinach and goat cheese.  The mashed potatoes and noodles, the noodles always go on top, are a holiday meal tradition for my friend Andrea, so she shared it with us.  We made fun of her for it at first because it sounded rather odd, but it was really good.  Christian tossed up the delicious caesar salad and the rest I decided to make.  I could have just made the ham and skipped many other things, but I just kept coming up with necessities. 

Ham is my families traditional Easter meal and creamy jello is also a special guest at the table, although mom has a mold to make jello eggs. I realize that it is another thing that sounds rather odd, but trust me, it's delicious.  The banana bread was an accident because I needed to use up some old bananas so I made it up on Saturday and when it was almost done I realized that I had forgotten the walnuts so I mixed some in with some cream cheese to spread on top.  While I was in the cheese section of the grocery store I decided that I needed to make my baked brie as an appetizer and Sunday morning I was looking at a recipe for horchata, a creamy Mexican drink with Rum, and added it to the menu. 
I am not going to share all the recipes for the items here, but I am going to share them some day, except maybe the brie, everyone want that recipe.  Today I am sharing the ham, which I found on Real Simple and the creamy jello since those are my Easter favorites.  Everything was delicious and turned out well despite my fears of over or under cooking the ham.  Everyone had a good time and we spent the remainder of our afternoon drinking our wine, beer, and horchata while playing Ccatch Phrase in garden.

Glazed Ham with Coriander & Fennel
I had a larger ham than the recipe I found, so I adjusted the recipe for that and I cooked the ham according to its packaging instead of by the recipe. This should be about 12 to 14 servings.

  • 1 10-pound fully cooked bone-in ham (shank end)
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons fennel seeds
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
  • 1  1/4 cup (10 oz.) apricot preserves

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Place the ham, cut-side down, in a roasting pan. Cover with foil and bake for 1.5 hours.
  3. Meanwhile, using a heavy pan, crush the fennel, coriander, and peppercorns. In a small bowl, combine them with the preserves to form a glaze.
  4. Brush 1/3 cup of the glaze over the ham and bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes. 
  5. Brush another 1/3 cup of the glaze over the ham and bake until the ham is heated through, about another 40 minutes. 
  6. Thinly slice and serve with the remaining glaze.
Creamy Jello
  • 2 1/2 cups boiling water
  • 2 packages of 8 serving (or 4 pkg of 4 servings) jello- I would stick with berry flavors
  • 1 cup cold milk
  • 1 package of 4 serving instant vanilla pudding
  1. Stir water and jello in a large bowl 3 minutes or until dissolved. Let cool at room temperature during next step. 
  2. Mix pudding into milk in a medium bowl and beat with a wire whisk for 1 minute.  Mixture will be thick. 
  3. Quickly pour pudding into cooled gelatin. Stir with whisk until well blended. 
  4. Pour into pan or molds and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.  
 
Enjoy and Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment