Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The End of Slump: Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce

I have been in a bit of a slump.  Maybe it's the weather, but I love all the snow, I want more.  Maybe it's real work or the fact that I haven't been out on my bike in months and the tires are flat as it hangs in my room or maybe it's the upcoming holidays.  Whatever it is, I have been totally uninspired to bake, cook, or many other things that need to be done.  I mean, it's not that I wanted to eat pot stickers twice last week, I just didn't feel like even thinking about making something I that didn't come out a bag.  Saturday night I was so uninspired and didn't want to eat another veggie burger, so I went next door to my friendly (sometimes) neighbors and asked what he was feeding me.  I was very lucky cause Kurt and Mel were making up some squash risotto. I felt I had to make something worthy this week, so while waiting for dinner to be finished, I went to find something yummy to make myself and found Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce.  

This recipe is pretty simple and made much more than four servings.  It was Sunday dinner and payback to Mel and Kurt for Saturday, and lunch for two days. Since I bought a whole rotisserie chicken and shredded the whole thing, I had extra for another meal.  (The other half I mixed with some ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and honey for bbq sandwiches tonight.)  It was really good, but I think it would have been better if the pumpkin sauce was made with some milk or half and half instead of water, but maybe I am just crazy.  Thoughts anyone and if you agree any idea how much you would change the recipe? 
  • 1/2 rotisserie chicken with the skin removed, meat shredded
  • 7 scallions, thinly sliced
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 jalapeno chile, quartered
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried ground chilies (my brothers special mix)
  • 8 corn tortillas (6-inch)
  • 1 1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine chicken and scallions. Season generously with salt and pepper; set aside.
  2. In a blender, puree pumpkin, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, 2 1/2 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until smooth (hold top firmly as blender will be quite full). Pour 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of an 8-inch square (or other shallow 2-quart) baking dish.
  3. Lay tortillas on work surface; mound chicken mixture on half of each tortilla, dividing evenly. Roll up tortillas; place, seam side down, in baking dish.
  4. Pour remaining sauce on top; sprinkle with cheese. Place dish on a baking sheet; bake until cheese is golden and sauce is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes. 
  5. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
  6. Enjoy!  

1 comment:

  1. I can attest that these were delicious! Thanks again, Jenn! I will definitely be trying these for myself.

    ReplyDelete