Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Crab Cakes with Lemon Aioli

I hate winter. Lemons are acting as my sunshine replacement lately...and I've been incorporating them into everything. Keeping with that theme, I was inspired to make one of my favorite warm weather dishes recently. Crab cakes make me remember how lovely summertime can be and help me cling to hope that it will soon return. I've got my fingers crossed and sandals at the ready.


Crab Cakes (adaptations from Healthy Appetite and Big Girls, Small Kitchen)

16 oz crab meat (I found this in a can but I'm sure it would be better fresh)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
fresh parsley, chopped
scallions/green onions, chopped finely
lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
few dashes cayenne pepper or seafood seasoning (like Old Bay)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 egg, lightly beaten
salt and pepper
olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Form into 2 inch diameter patties (or whatever cake size you desire). Heat a thin layer of olive oil in a skillet. Brown each side of the crab cakes.

Lemon Aioli (adapted from the Neely's recipe)

1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons lemon juice
lemon zest
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dill
salt and pepper

Wisk all the ingredients together. Serve cold as a garnish for your crab cakes.

Pair with an ice cold Corona (+ lime) or some other quintessentially warm weather drink. Summer here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment