Thursday, March 8, 2012

Chicken Milanese and Carrots

I was sooo excited to roast some carrots, or do something with them.  Problem is, I have been crazy busy lately and not been able to do much cooking or had much desire to the one free night I have a week.  So I bought this lovely bunch of carrots and was set to make something, I can't remember what anymore, but it took me a week or so to get to it.  When I pulled the carrots out, they had gone soft.  I was seriously, very sad.  I really wanted to make whatever with those carrots and now I couldn't.  My dinner was ruined.  I don't remember what I ate instead, probably a bowl of pasta with a bit of salt. Tear. 


On the next grocery run I picked up carrots again and made a point to use them as soon as possible.  I also had the recipe for Chicken Milanese bookmarked in my Fresh Flavor Fast, so I decided to give it a try and add the carrots as a side.  I use a quick recipe from Great Food Fast  to make the carrots.  It all turned out great.  It was fast, yummy and great as a leftover.  I don't have a rack that I can put in the oven so I used a pizza pan that has holes in it to bake the chicken on over a pan.  It seemed to work fine.  While the chicken was in the oven, the carrots cooked up quickly and everything was ready pretty close to the same time.    I kept the onion with the dressing separate from the arugula so that it didn't wither or go brown waiting for the next meal.  

Chicken Milanese
4 servings 

  • 1 1/4 cups plain dried breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges, for serving
  • 5 ounces baby arugula
  • 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss breadcrumbs and oil until well combined; spread on sheet. Cook, tossing once, until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. 
  2. Place flour and eggs in separate bowls; season with salt and pepper. Place a rack on another rimmed baking sheet (or make it up like me!).
  3. One at a time, place chicken breasts between two large pieces of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or bottom of a small heavy pan(I used the pan route), pound until 1/2 inch thick. 
  4. Coat chicken on both sides with flour (shaking off excess), then dip in eggs (allowing excess to drip off); dredge in breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to adhere.
  5. Bake chicken on rack, without turning, until opaque throughout, 10 to 15 minutes.
  6. In a bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons oil and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Add onion and toss.  Top a bed of Arugula with the onion mixture and place the chicken on top. 
Roasted Carrots
4 servings (unless you're like me, then its 2)

  • 9 carrots (1 1/2 pounds)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Pepper
  1. Quarter and cut carrots into 2-inch lengths. 
  2. In a skillet, bring carrots, sugar, 1/2 cup water, butter, and salt to boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, partly covered, 6 minutes.
  3. Cook uncovered, over high, tossing often until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.  Season with pepper.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment