Thursday, March 15, 2012

Beef Gravy over Mashed Potatoes

I have been craving beef gravy and mash potatoes lately.  Like the horrible absolutely amazing  kind they served for school lunch back in the day.  I think I caught a whiff of something walking by a diner one day and it's been stuck in my nose ever since.  My roommate was some how given a bunch of russet potatoes, so I had everything I needed to make this happen with no time to waste. 

I searched online for a couple recipes and decided to go with the one that would require me to make the gravy from scratch, so it was a white gravy.  It was good, but I think I wanted a brown gravy flavor.  Noted for the next round.  I got fancy with my potatoes and mixed up some creamy garlic mashed potatoes from the Food Network.  Absolutely delicious, although maybe too much garlic for this recipe.  I made enough for dinner for me and my roommate Sunday evening and lunch for the rest of the week.  It took some time, but it was really simple to make and I love not having PB & J's for lunch every day.   

Beef Gravy over Mashed Potatoes
 
8 to 10 servings 

Mashed Potatoes
  • 3 1/2 pounds russet potatoes 
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt 
  • 16 fluid ounces (2 cups) half-and-half 
  • 6 cloves garlic, crushed 
  • 6 ounces grated Parmesan 
Beef Gravy
  • 1.5 Pounds of Hamburger 
  • 1 Medium Onion chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 4 cups milk
  1. Peel and dice potatoes, making sure all are relatively the same size.  Place in a large saucepan, add the salt, and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce heat to maintain a rolling boil. Cook until potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork.
  2. While the potatoes are cooking, brown the hamburger and the onion in a large skillet until cooked.  Drain off the fat and set aside. 
  3. Return the skillet to the heat and add the melted butter then the flour with the salt and pepper.  Once it starts to clump up, add the milk and stir until the gravy begins to thicken, about 10 to 15 minutes. 
  4. Once the gravy thickens add the beef and onion back in to the skillet. 
  5. When the potatoes have finished cooking, drain them and set aside.  In the pot heat the half and half with the garlic over medium heat until simmering, stirring frequently. 
  6. Add the potatoes back the pot and mash them with the garlic and cream mixture. 
  7. Pour the gravy over the mashed potatoes and serve. 
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment