Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Brussel Sprouts!

I have not made brussel sprouts in a long time.  Try over 10 years ago in some high school home ec class, (the closes to domestication I ever got).  That was the first time I ever tried them too.  I remember we steamed them and I did liking them, mom was shocked.  After that I've had them here and there, but never really sought them out.  I have been really excited to make something with them and have collected several recipes.  These past few weeks I have been having the same issue with brussel sprouts that I was having with carrots, and kept forgetting about them.

I finally roasted some up and they were delicious and I always remembered.  I used a recipe from poppytalk but I cut the spouts amount in half but otherwise I stuck pretty close to the recipe.  I hope you like them.
I know they don't look amazing, but they are! 

Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts
2 servings 

  • 1/2 lb brussels sprouts
  • 1 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. Trim the sprouts by cutting off the stem end and peeling back a layer of leaves. Cut the sprouts in half.
  3. Soak sprouts in a bowl of cold water, giving them a good shake so that any dirt falls to the bottom of the bowl.
  4. Scoop out the sprouts and dry them with a clean tea towel. Place on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
  5. Use your hands to roll the sprouts around so that all the sprouts get evenly coated. Sprinkle with salt (I like tobe generous here) and the aleppo pepper or cayenne.
  6. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, giving the tray a shake once or twice, until crispy and tender. Serve immediately.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment