Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cranberry Oatmeal Bars

I have been a little MIA lately. I have been baking and cooking, but since I had to make a hasty trip back to South Dakota, Grandma and Mom have been doing most of the work this past week or so, or the pizza delivery guy.  Before that, I was making simple things that I have already blogged about like turtle cookies and my zucchini, squash and chicken dinner.  
There have been several batches of turtle cookies. Grandma made another batch this morning and I decided I needed to make something to go with them for our little road trip to the state basketball game tomorrow.  After going though the recipes on my computer  I came across Cranberry Oatmeal Bars on My Recipes an thought they would be semi healthy for the trip. Plus I love anything with cranberry and orange!

Crust:
  • 4.5  ounces  all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
  • 1  cup  quick-cooking oats
  • 1/2  cup  packed brown sugar
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1/4  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  • 6  tablespoons  butter, melted
  • 3  tablespoons  orange juice
  • Cooking spray
Filling:
  • 1 1/3  cups  dried cranberries (about 6 ounces)
  • 3/4  cup  sour cream
  • 1/2  cup  granulated sugar
  • 2  tablespoons  all-purpose flour
  • 1  teaspoon  vanilla extract
  • 1/2  teaspoon  grated orange rind
  • 1  large egg white, lightly beaten
  1. Preheat oven to 325°. 

  2. To prepare crust, weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle butter and juice over flour mixture, stirring until moistened (mixture will be crumbly). Reserve 1/2 cup oat mixture. Press remaining oat mixture into the bottom of an 11 x 7–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

  3. To prepare filling, combine cranberries, sour cream, granulated sugar, and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well. Spread cranberry mixture over prepared crust; sprinkle reserved oat mixture evenly over filling. Bake at 325° for 40 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment