Monday, October 10, 2011

Shepherd's Pie in a Hurry


I needed something quick and easy to make this weekend. Even though it was a long weekend, I spent it cleaning and organizing.  I nerded out and drew my room in CAD to figure out how I could rearrange the furniture.  It's definitely faster than when I was little drawing it with a crayon and completely out of scale.  So anyway, I wanted something quick and tasty. 

 I was kind of unsure about this recipe.  I love Real Simple, but I haven't really been much of a fan of their "Fake it" recipes that I have tried before.  This one was really good though and super quick.  Exactly what I was looking for on a lazy night.  Plus the leftovers got me through the weekend.  I highly recommend it.
Look at all those veggies! 
  Shepherd's Pie
  • 4 servings 
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/3 cup ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 8 ounces frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (I used Trader Joe's Vegetable Melody with carrots, peas, corn and cauliflower. Then I picked out the cauliflower when it was done.)
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded Cheddar
  • 16-ounce package mashed potatoes, refrigerated or frozen and thawed
  1. Heat oven to 400° F.
  2. Place the beef in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat until no trace of pink remains, about 5 minutes.
  3. Spoon off and discard any fat. Stir in the ketchup and Worcestershire. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Spoon into a baking dish.
  4. Mix the cheese (if desired) with the potatoes in a bowl. Spread over the beef and bake until heated through, 10 minutes. Divide among plates.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment