I was thinking pancakes and Kurt even in his state was concerned about his brother (and roommate) who recently found out he is allergic to gluten. They had made buckwheat pancakes before and in my search for a recipe I looked at this recipe for Buckwheat and Carrot Muffins. The have a lot of honey in them and all I needed that I didn't have was the buckwheat flour. Two or three grocery stores later, mission accomplished. Less than and hour after that and just before everyone left for the day, we had muffins. I loved the slight taste of honey in them, but otherwise, I wasn't a huge fan. The boys next door really liked them though. In tossing out ideas, I think adding berries might have been really good and they thought chocolate. I will have to revisit this recipe and maybe my sister can tell me how to tweak it. In the meantime, give them a try and see what you think.
Buckwheat & Carrot Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/2 sunflower oil
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven 350 degrees and grease with sunflower oil.
- In a large bowl combine buckwheat flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add shredded carrot.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine honey, banana, sunflower oil and eggs.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until combined.
- Bake at 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool to the touch. Place on a cooling rack.