Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Gluten Free Buckwheat Muffin

This weekend was my neighbor and sometime friend's birthday, (kidding Kurt!  I always wanted a BIG brother across the hall).  It was not just any birthday it was his 30th birthday.  Some of us took him out for pre-birthday drinks on Saturday night and did a pretty good job of prepping him for the real party on Sunday.  Since I was part of the cause of his (possible) pain the next day, I offered to make something for breakfast the next morning.  

I was thinking pancakes and Kurt even in his state was concerned about his brother (and roommate) who recently found out he is allergic to gluten.  They had made buckwheat pancakes before and in my search for a recipe I looked at this recipe for Buckwheat and Carrot Muffins.  The have a lot of honey in them and all I needed that I didn't have was the buckwheat flour.  Two or three grocery stores later, mission accomplished.  Less than and hour after that and just before everyone left for the day, we had muffins.  I loved the slight taste of honey in them, but otherwise, I wasn't a huge fan.  The boys next door really liked them though.  In tossing out ideas, I think adding berries might have been really good and they thought chocolate.  I will have to revisit this recipe and maybe my sister can tell me how to tweak it. In the meantime, give them a try and see what you think. 

Buckwheat & Carrot Muffins
Ingredients: 
  • 1 1/2 cups buckwheat  flour
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 1 mashed banana
  • 1/2 sunflower oil
  • 3 eggs
  1. Preheat oven 350 degrees and grease with sunflower oil. 
  2. In a large bowl combine buckwheat flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.  Add shredded carrot.
  3. In a medium-sized bowl combine honey, banana, sunflower oil and eggs.  
  4. Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix just until combined. 
  5. Bake at 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and let cool to the touch.  Place on a cooling rack. 

Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. What a good big sister you are! They sound yummy. Maybe zucchini instead of carrots? Slather them with icing and make them buckwheat cupcakes instead? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please note than I have resigned from being the oldest. I will be the youngest again.

    ReplyDelete