Thursday, January 26, 2012

Spiked Mulled Cider

When I was making Cider Doughnuts over Martin Luther King Weekend, I had a half gallon and cider minus one cup and I needed something to do with it or it would sit in my fridge forever.  I took to the internet and found a recipe on one of my favorite sites, Simply Recipes for Hot Mulled Cider.   It meet the main requirement of having alcohol in it since I was told one should not be frying things with out a drink in hand.  (FYI: I was not drunk when I burned my wrist and it is looking like it might not scar.) 


It was so good that Kurt next door bought another half gallon to make more the next day.  I modified the spices and used clementines instead of oranges.  The second round I added star anise to the mixture.  We tried it with both brandy and bourbon.  I like it either way and since we tend to have bourbon on hand in the building somewhere, it will probably be the go to in the future.   I didn't put the alcohol in it until it was in a glass so that people could make it as strong as they wanted.  In all cases it was good and you should definitely give it a try. 


Spiked Mulled Cider
Makes 8 servings

Guess what's missing from this picture.

  • 1/2 gallon of fresh, unfiltered apple cider
  • 1 clementines
  • 2 teaspoons cloves
  • 4 3-inch sticks of cinnamon
  • 15 allspice berries
  • 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
  • 7 pods of cardamon
  • 2 or 3 star anise
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  1. Pour apple cider into a 3-quart saucepan, cover, turn the heat on medium-high. 
  2. While cider is heating up,cut the clementines in half.  Place clementines, cloves, and the rest of the ingredients into the sauce pan with the cider. Keep covered and heat the mulled cider mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes on low heat.
  3. Use a fine mesh sieve to strain the hot mulled cider away from the clementines, cloves, and other spices. 
  4. Add a shot or so bourbon or brandyto spike it up. Serve hot. Add a cinnamon stick to each cup if desired.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment